Secret Church 2014
Dru’s Top 10 reason’s you should be at Secret Church
Secret Church is just around the corner and if you haven’t thought about going you should! It will be a great time for our church to have another opportunity to come together to hear the teaching of God’s word. I invite you to come and join us as we hear David Platt teach through the topic of “The cross and everyday life”. Every Sunday evening in July we will be meeting in the GYM starting at 6:00 pm. You can receive a printed copy of the study guide, but you must register online for this option, it is $5 for the printed version. You will also have the ability to download a free copy of the study guide in a pdf format.
Here are my Top 10 reason’s that you should join us for Secret church.
10. Because you like the way that David Platt guy gets excited.
- Those that were there last year, you know what I’m talking about.
9. Because you know deep down you really want to come.
- Alright maybe you do or maybe you don’t, but you won’t regret coming. So, you might as well come.
8. Because you learned so much last year at Secret Church.
- Really there is a lot of information and Scripture that is covered and it will be a great time to hear old and new insights from God’s word.
7. Because we don’t have to meet in Secret!
- Seriously, think about that for a minute. We have the freedom to come into a building and worship, pray, hear God’s word preached unashamedly without fear that we are going to be arrested, beaten, or persecuted. Isn’t it amazing, that with those freedoms church attendance is continually going down. And isn’t it equally amazing, that the churches that are in fear of being arrested, beaten, or persecuted in many cases grow. So, a tremendous reason that we should be at Secret church this summer is that we can, and we don’t have to do it in Secret!
6. For the love of Pete. Or Jane, or Bob, or Sally, or anyone else that sits next to you on Sunday mornings.
- Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” I know that we gather on Sunday mornings, but here is just one more opportunity to love your brother or sister in Christ. God has given us one another to encourage each other, and push one another toward a growing relationship with Christ. Secret Church is just one more opportunity that we have to do that.
5. For the love of the world.
- Meeting together in this “Secret Church” format was originally done to help believers in the U.S. to receive a better understanding of the Church around the world. It was a way to help us understand, and open our eyes to how Christians in other parts of the world worship. So, as you go through Secret Church this summer think about our brothers and sisters around the world and love them by praying for them.
4.For the love of the Word!
- Christians should “long for the pure spiritual milk” of His word. (1 Peter 2:2) “Spiritual growth is always marked by a craving for and a delight in God’s word with the intensity with which a baby craves milk.” (John MacArthur) As Christians we should develop a desire for the truth of God’s word. Colossians 3:16 says, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly.” This means that we should be in His word daily. We should hear it, read it, think about it, let it pervade our thoughts and mind. We should think about it so much that it oozes out of us, like a spring that comes out of the side of a hill. God’s word should so penetrate our heart that we live different, that we would reflect His character. Secret Church is just one more opportunity for you to hear the word of God, so that you would reflect Him.
3. For the love of Christ!
- He is worth it! He is worth our everyday lives to be centered around Him. Colossians 1:16 says, “all things were created through Him and for Him.” Then in vs.18 it says, He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything He might be preeminent.” I know that you can love Christ without coming to Secret Church, but when we hear more about Him in all types of venues, and hear what He has done for us again and again it stirs up a greater love for Him. You can’t love Him too much, and you can’t hear about what He did for us too much so you might as well join us at Secret Church!
2. It reminds us that the cross is for your everyday life not just one moment in time!
- The Gospel (the good news of Jesus) is not just about you having an experience years ago that enables you to get to heaven, it is how you are to live every single day of your life. The cross is not just an event in the past, it is Christ doing what none of us could ever do, concur sin and death. This event was meant to free us, enabling us to live that everyday life for the Glory of God. The cross is a symbol of you leaving behind your past and your sins to live everyday in a different direction. Jesus paid the payment for your sins and mine so that He would live His life through you and me. So our mentality must be, ”Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31) Secret Church will be about helping us think through that kind of perspective.
1. It reminds us that the cross is a catalyst for life!
- Henry Blackaby says in Experiencing God, “You cannot stay the way you are and go with God.” The cross is a change agent. Jesus did not say to come get heaven and do whatever feels good and right for your life. Instead He said, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” (Luke 9:23) That sounds like it will change the course of someone’s life. This change is the best change that could ever happen! We had nothing and He gave us everything. “God being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ.” (Ephesians 2:4-5) What incredibly great news! Change happens through the cross, because life is given at the cross! So, as we go through this Secret Church remember that we have hope, we have life, we have Christ because of the cross, and that should change everything about us!
Don’t miss it people. The faithful preaching of the Word is always worth hearing. I’ll look forward to sharing that time with you!
God bless you, to live for Him.
During all four Sunday nights of July, we are going to have a special opportunity. We will be hearing David Platt speak by video.Each year Dr. Platt hosts a service called Secret Church. Secret Church is several hours of expositional Bible teaching on a specific topic. Earlier in the year, Pastor Platt taught his church on the subject of The Cross and Everyday Life. We are fortunate enough to have all of this teaching on video and it is going to be made available to our church. We will be having this special teaching during all of the Sunday nights of July. Be assured you do not want to miss this teaching. Each Sunday evening we will be in our Gym for the video. It will be a very comfortable time of worship and learning. There will be special classes for our children so all of us can attend. We hope you will place these special services on your summer calendar. It really will be a time of spiritual growth.
Please click here to request printed study guide and/or register for our study so we can prepare for the event or request the study guide and/or register at the Welcome Center.
Here is the intro to this study -
From the moment we wake up in the morning to the moment we lie down to sleep at night, how does the death of Christ on the cross transform every single detail of our day? How does the cross compel daily disciplines like prayer and Bible reading or a regular routine of fasting and worship? How does the cross change the way we view our jobs and vocations throughout the day as well as the way we rest and relax at the end of the day? What, if any, unique effect does the cross have on the ways we spend our time, set our priorities, make our decisions, and love our neighbors? How does the cross change the way we view food and exercise, sports and entertainment in this world? The Bible says, "Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). So how do we do that? And how does the cross of Christ inevitably enable us to do that? During this Secret Church, as we explore the implications of the death of Christ for our daily lives, we will discover the exhilarating joy that is found in following Jesus to the glory of God on a moment-by-moment, day-by-day basis.